Nigel from Ontario, Canada sent us yesterday’s Wallpaper Wednesday photo and we had to know more about his rig so I pinged him to get the scoop on his build. Here is the skinny!
It all started at the 2012 Toronto bike trade show. I test rode a the Surly Moonlander, and was sold in 20-seconds of riding. Influenced by my R/C scale rock crawling truck build, I concocted my custom Moonlander in a similar way…Tough Steel Rig!
This bike is the funnest bike I’ve ever had. It, and my recent re-disovering of old trail playgrounds, has made this year one of my best cycling years ever. Can’t wait for the snow to cover them… and the beach-riding, never was able to enjoy that before on my past race bikes…
Here is the build list:
- Surly Moonlander Frame & Fork
- Surly MWOD Cranks
- Surly Clown-Shoe Rims
- Surly Bud & Lou Tires
- Ghetto Tubeless (No Foam Strip, Just The Split-Tube And Stan’s).
- Thompson Elite Seatpost
- Thompson Elite X4 Stem
- Brooks Saddle
- Hope Headseat
- Hope Bottom Bracket
- Hope Fatsno Front Hub
- Hope Pro-2 Evo Rear Hub
- Hope “Stealth” V4 Clamps / Tech Levers / Vented 203Mm Rotors
- Hope Seat Clamp
- Hope Space Doctor
- Hope Caliper Mounts “G” & “B”
- XTR Rear Derailleur W/Titanium Jockey Wheels
- XTR Front Derailleur
- XTR Shifters
- XTR Cog & Chain
- Every Fastener is Titanium (Because Parts Are Only As Good As The Bolts Holding Them Together).
- Cages (Some Cheapies, To Match Brazed-Caged Items).
- Handlebars (Generic Flats For Now, Hopefully Thompson Ti’s In The Future).
- Oury Grips (Old Favourites).
- Custom Brazed Caged Headlights, And Cargo Storage
Have you got a fat-bike that you’d like to see gracing the pages of this here website? Say no more and send an email, with photos, to email@example.com! We’d love to see your rig!