Twenty Twenty-two brought a bomb cyclone for the Christmas Holiday. It was the perfect opportunity to field test a pair of 45NRTH Wølfgar Boa Boots that we’ve had since late last winter. I’ve had a slew of articles in the pipeline waiting for some snow conditions and the Wølfgar Boa Boots allowed me to confidently pursue my fat bike dreams every frigid day of the polar vortex, with the coldest ride coming in at -6F (-33 wind-chill). My feet stayed warm through it all from -6 to 18 F.
The Wølfgar Boa is constructed as a boot with a liner or a boot within a boot. This allows for quicker drying between rides. (I use a boot dryer for a few hours after rides) These boots go on and come off very easily. This is a really important feature, especially to an older less flexible goofus like me. The double boa does a nice job adjusting the boots to fit. The sole feels grippy with the platform pedals that I run and can also work with clipless pedals. The boots have a larger overall dimension compared to other winter cycling boots but that doesn’t seem to hamper their functionality on the pedals or during hike-a-bike. The Wølfgars are every bit as warm as the Neos Overboots that I tested last winter and they provide that warmth in a more practical size to work well with common pedal choices. With these boots, I could forget any worries about my feet getting cold after an hour. The Wølfgar’s are noticeably warmer than my normal winter riding boots. (currently Oboz Bridger 10″ Insulated Boots). This is the warmest extreme cold weather cycling boot that I’ve ever ridden.
Wølfgar is 45NRTH’s extreme winter cycling boot, designed for warmth in temperatures from 10° F (–12° C) to –25° F (–31° C). Wølfgar is designed from the sole up for warmer, drier, and more user-friendly performance in the harshest winter conditions. Here’s a look at what Wølfgar has to offer:
- Waterproof materials and construction for blocking outside moisture
- 600 g Primaloft® insulation, aerogel on top of the toe and under the foot, and reflective thermal lining for warmth retention
- Removable wool and faux-fur liner for easy drying on multi-day trips
- Lightweight three-piece bottom assembly with a stiff, nylon shank in the cleat bed to improve pedaling efficiency and an EVA foam midsole to keep things flexible enough for hike-a-bike
- Removable cleat plate for compatibility with both flat pedals and 2-bolt cleats
- Rubber outsole with anti-slip micro-glass lugs for traction on ice
- Dual-zone BOA fit system adjusts upper and lower boots separately for a perfect fit
- D-ring on the toe allows for use with gaiters
Wølfgar is available at authorized 45NRTH dealers – (MSRP $495) in sizes from 36–50 (no size 49). For more information visit 45nrth.com
No comments yet.