Welcome to the World Premier of Ken and Andy’s Fat Camp Podcast here on Fat-bike Radio! Ken and Andy will be presenting fat-bike tech through their podcast and this week they are delving into making your fat-bike more Summer friendly.
Look for The Fat Camp Podcast monthly on the 2nd Saturday of the month beginning June 13th right here at fat-bike.com!
Show Notes for Podcast #1: Converting your fat bike for summer riding.
There are 3 basic options that may be open to you right now:
- Light fast rolling 26×4” tires and possible some skinnier/lighter 26” wheels
- 27+ (aka 650b+) wheels and tires
- 29+ wheels and tire
- Your wide hub spacing makes for super strong/stiff wheel
- Instead of $$ towards two bikes, you can put your money towards a 2nd set of wheels and/or higher end wheels.
26×4” The tried and true setup for summer fat bike riders
- Been done for years now so no point in spending a lot of time on this
- Discuss pros of this route compared to + options:
- Discuss cons of this route compared to + options:
- Go tubeless if at all possible.
- Decide on rim width
- Discuss geometry effects
Plus sized options:
- Pros of + size options:
- Cons of + sized options:
- Which do you go with? 27+ or 29+?
- Short answer: If your bike is designed for 4” tires only, go 27+ and if your bike is designed for 5” tires, go 29+.
There is a Long Answer too! Listen and learn!
Other things to consider when “summerizing” your fatty
There is a great article on Meriweather Cycles page where they interview Travis Brown!