The Weekly Dose of Fat – Show Number 109 – Friday, September 16th, 2016
Sven, Gomez and JK welcome you to this episode with an Interbike Preview and talk about the Fat-bike Bubble does it exist?
The Weekly Dose of Fat is brought to you by the Surly – I’m Larry, this is my brother Darryl and My Other Brother Darryl Rims. Learn more about bikes, balance and freedom at – http://surlybikes.com
On the show this week:
- The event of the Week – Fat Cross at Trek World HQ
- Interbike Preview
- The Fatty Farm Field Report, brought to you by Ritchey Logic.
- We’ll take calls from our listener
- And in this evening’s special segment – we discuss the Fat-Bike Bubble with Ken and Andy from Fat Camp.
The Event of the WEEK!
Renee Callaway, Race Director of the Trek CXC Cup calls in to chat.
Trek CXC Cup is calling all Fat Bikers! This year you don’t need a cross bike to take part in the fun!
- Where: Trek World Headquarters
- When: Saturday Sept. 17th 5:40 PM – 30 minutes
A bit of beverage talk
Beard Pop Quiz
- 14″ and 22″ frames come to the Corvus lineup.
- Adding the FLT(Faster, lighter, Technology) to the Rhino and Skookum.
- Skookum FLT stiffness across the board increases about 25% and weight is reduced by over 200g. Keeping all features like the internal sleeve for the dropper post routing and the Threaded BB
- Rhino FLT, changes to a fixed dropout, drops about 550g. (for the 18″) adds cage mounts to the fork. Adds internal routing for dropper post.
- Continued the refinement of hubs taking another 100g off the hub set while upgrading to a stronger stiffer steel axle in the rear hub. Premium Enduro bearings, with a grease that is rated down to -40°.
- New Single wall alloy rim, BigSu, with performance that matches many Carbon rims, weighing in at 625g each. Complete wheel sets will be available with many hub configurations. These will be available as an aftermarket offering.
- 7 build kit options:
- Shimano – XT and SLX
- Sram – NX1, GX1, XO1, Eagle
- Single speed
- New Rims New Colors on their Whiteout
- New kid’s fatty
- Something called the tundra
- Echos and Crestones with New B+ Carbon Rims
- Outdoor Demo Booth – Wednesdays – Ice Cream Truck – New Karate Monkey 27.5+
We call Justin Julian from Salsa
- New Bike Brand from Wolftooth
- 3 New fat Tires
- Redesigned the Husker Du, the Dillinger and they have a new aggressive studded tire.
- has a new Winter Cycling Boot called the MXZ400
New Terres Tire Co
- Fat-bike tires
- Is rocking Purple Anno Parts like 1991 all over again
Quick Break Here
Fatty Farm Field Report
The Fatty Farm Field Report is brought to by Ritchey. The folks at Ritchey have a special offer to our readers and listeners on their Commando Frame and fork for just $375. Just use the discount code “Julio” at checkout. http://ritcheylogic.com
It’s time to hear from our readers about what you’ve found indispensable to your fat-bike lifestyle. Think of something that you’ve used and abused over the last few seasons and would go out and buy again. Then take a good clear picture of that item and write a paragraph that describes your reasoning behind presenting the highest honor that can be given – the Gnome-Proof Seal of Approval! Place your words and pixels in an email to email@example.com and we’ll compile the best stories in the next series of Episodes.
Our friends at OneUp Components (not the super rad rack makers but the kick ass, range extending, drivetrain component purveyors) have a 30% off sale on select thing-a-ma-bobs. Check it!
Bruce and the Angus Cycling Festival Fatbike ride – http://coastkid.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/angus-cycling-festival-fatbike-ride_12.html
There will be fat-bikes Saturday October 15th, 6 P.M. Pugsley Pit, Decorah, IA
Maybe we should steal this!
Tour de Fat, Sandön
Plus Bike Links
Baja Divide – https://bajadivide.com/2016/09/14/baja-divide-published/
Ventana Wolfram Pinion Gearbox and Gates Belt Drive!
Global Fat-Bike Day Celebrations
Two Rivers Wisconsin – https://www.facebook.com/events/2123714041187101/
Conversation about The Fat-bike Bubble with Ken, Andy and Chewey
Our show this evening has been brought to you by the Bikes, Parts & Chaos of Surly Bikes – Learn more at http://surlybikes.com
Call 818-918-2453 any time, day or night, and leave us a message about the fat-bike Bubble.
We’ll have some new items coming soon to the Fat-bike.com Shop. Check it out at shop.fat-bike.com
Join us next time for the Weekly Dose of Fat when we nail down the 10 essentials to keep in your frame bag.