Weekly Dose of Fat – Show Number 110 for Friday, September 23th, 2016
Fatbassador, Travis, found some sea ice in Barrow, AK!
Join us this week for our fabulous Interbike edition #1 of the Weekly Dose of Fat with Gomez calling in from Las Vegas and Tim Krueger talking a bunch of fat-bike and plus bike news.
Thanks to Surly for sponsoring our show! Surly makes bikes and parts that don’t suck. Learn more at http://surlybikes.com.
On this week’s show:
- We’ll talk to Wisconsin BikeFed’s Dave Schlabowske about Chris’ Slow Roll to Celebrate bike industry veteran Chris Kegel.
- Our Special Guest is Gomez as he calls in from Las Vegas with news from the Interbike Outdoor Dirt Demo in Boulder City plus a peek at what was happening on the Show Floor.
- We talk beards and beer
- We discuss the ten best essentials to keep in your frame pack
- We share Links from the internet
The Somber Event of the Week
Folks, sometimes we get some news we’d rather not get. Chris’ Slow Roll is a ride to celebrate the life of Chris Kegel, a bike industry legend, who was recently diagnosed with a rare and fast-paced form of cancer that originates in the bile ducts and affects liver function. Chris’ Slow Roll is happening this Sunday, September 25th in Milwaukee.
This week’s beer, Founders Mosaic Promise, rates a solid 91 on Beer Advocate and Carries a 5.5% ABV along with 50 IBUs
This week’s Beards and Beer was sponsored by Uncle Dicks Bead Slip. http://uncledicksbikeshop.com.
Special Guest – Gomez!
Fatty Farm Field Report
The Fatty Farm Field Report is brought to by Ritchey. The folks at Ritchey have a special offer to our readers and listeners on their Commando Frame and fork for just $375. Just use the discount code “Julio” at checkout.
We’d like to hear from our readers about what you’ve found indispensable to your fat-bike lifestyle. Think of something that you’ve used and abused over the last few seasons and would go out and buy again. Then take a good clear picture of that item and write a paragraph that describes your reasoning behind presenting the highest honor that can be given – the Gnome-Proof Seal of Approval! Place your words and pixels in an email to email@example.com and we’ll compile the best stories in the next series of Episodes.
Special Segment – The 10 most important things we carry in our frame bags.
- Tool pencil bag
- Kryptonite chain lock
- Bluetooth speaker, usually a Boombotix of some sort
- Sock set
- Sweat rag
- Bottle opener
- Charging materials
- Camera – gots to capture the moment.
- Tool kit with Multi-tool, Power Links, Valve stem tool
- A tube or two, of course
- Pump, Patch Kit in case there are multiple flats
- Bordo Lite Lock for quick hitch ups
- Lighting –
- A Koozy and something to keep it properly expanded
- A shell or packable down coat depending on the time of year.
- Battery to charge lights, phones, Boombotix, etc. and associated cord
- Perhaps a small glass object and flame
Tupper has a list!
How many tire sizes do we need?
Flow Convertible Kid’s Fat-bike.
Daytrip to the Central Belt
Lost Coast Dreaming
Hard to Fathom Tour in 4 Parts
Fat-biking in Dubai Desert
And now for something completely different…The Tall Fat-bike
Plus Bike Links
Hutchinson’s tubeless-ready Koloss 27.5-plus tire will be available in two tread patterns in a 2.8-inch width. http://www.bicycleretailer.com/new-products/2016/09/20/hutchinson-introduces-first-gravel-and-275-plus-tires#.V-KTnaOZNE4
Our show this evening has been brought to you by the Bikes, Parts & Chaos of Surly Bikes – Learn more at http://surlybikes.com
Call 818-918-2453 any time, day or night, and leave us a message.
We’ve got a new T-Shirt Design coming to the shop this week! We are just waiting for the sample before we release it to you fine folks! Check it out! – http://shop.fat-bike.com
Join us next time for the Weekly Dose of Fat where we will wrap up our coverage of all things Plus and Fat from the Show Floor at Interbike!