After getting our ladies some test gear earlier (K8′s review and Snaks review), Ibex recently hooked us menfolk up with some samples as well. I’ll hip you to a bit of a product preview here and then these bad boys are going to Chad and his Moonlander-owning self for some extensive testing.
Frankly, I would have kept these for myself because, as usual with Ibex gear, they are super well made, have all the right stuff in the right places and are made from an intelligent selection of fabrics but alas, the 32″ inseam is just too long for this short-legged reviewer and there is no easy way to shorten them.
FWIW, I did wear them once on a 2-hour beach ride with the cuffs rolled up but a fine selection of burrs attached themselves to the fuzzy inner fabric and I said “Ouch!” a few times as I removed the offensive pods. Other than that, temperature control on the 30-degree Fahrenheit day was excellent and, like I said, I’d love them if they came in a shorter length, but they don’t so I threw them in the washer and cleaned them up real pretty-like for Chad.
From the Ibex website:
Breakaway 2 Pants are the answer to the perennial winter sport question, which pants should I wear? Like its jacket namesake, the Breakaway 2 pant keeps a body at its most efficient, not too warm but protected from the cold. Built from Climawool, a four-way stretch wool blend, these pants are highly detailed with articulated knees, a reflective racing stripe and fourteen inch hem zippers.
- Front: Climawool™ 4-way stretch double weave, nylon with DWR finish (72% Nylon / 20% Merino / 8% Elastane); Back: Heavy Cycling Ponte Knit Zque™ NZM wool, 21 mircon, (92% wool / 6% Nylon / 2% Lycra®
- Front (shell): 225 g/m2, Back: 480 g/m2
- Schoeller® Wool stretch woven fabric
- Lightweight Hybrid Pant ideal for aerobic pursuits
- Elastic waistband with cord lock; Articulated knees
- 6” thigh pocket; 14” zipper at pant hem with gripper elastic; Reflective racing stripe on left leg
- Inseams: S=31”, M,L&XL=32”’
- Machine washable
For those of you who what to know where your clothing comes from the material on these is from Switzrland and they are made in Canada.
A bit FYI here, these normally sell for $225 but right now there is a sale going on at the IBEX website and you can scoop them up for $140!
Disclaimer: This product was given to me at no charge for reviewing. I was not paid or bribed to give this review and it will reflect my honest opinion or thoughts throughout.