Keeping the digits warm while fat-biking in the cold is one of the most important parts of winter biking. Cold fingers equal less control, potential frostbite and, in extreme conditions, loss of said digits! So how best to keep your hands warm?
While there are a lot of cyclists out there using variations on the lobster claw glove there is another option when it gets cold. Pogies. Basically, oversized mittens that fit over your handlebars. Variously know as Moose Mitts, Bullwinkles, Gauntlets or Bike Mitts, pogies are typically constructed of wind/waterproof fabric like Cordura and most pogies also include a fleece-type lining to warm the hands. Some even have a pocket for hand warmers like those made by Grabber.
In warmer weather you can ride bare-handed with complete control of your bike while riding in colder weather light-weight cycling gloves will often be warm enough for your ride.
Other cold weather sportsmen (and women!), like rowers, snowmobilers and kayakers, use pogie-style hand warmers too so while there are bike-specific pogies out there, you may find that a cross-sport pogie may suit you. Some also include Reflective Striping that can come in handy when it gets dark at 4:30PM in the winter.
Here is a list of pogie makers out there:
- Dogwood Designs – Alaska BOOM! https://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=store.catalog&CategoryID=5&ProductID=14
- MountainSew Bike Gauntlets – http://www.mountainsew.com/bike-mitts/
- Bike Toasties – http://www.akgear.com/hats-mitts.html
- Moose Mitts - http://www.trails-edge.com/product/moose-mitts-flat-bar-676.htm
- Holmsewn pogies – http://downwindsports.com/mainSite/2011/11/29/holmsewn-pogies/
- DryBike – http://www.drybike.com/weathershields.html
- Bar Mitts - http://barmitts.com/
- Fatbikes Basic Pogies – http://www.fatbikes.com/fatbikes-basic-pogie.html
- MEC Northstar Cycling Pogies – http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Cycling/MensClothing/Gloves/PRD~5019-300/mec-northstar-cycling-pogies-unisex.jsp
- For warmer climes – http://www.jlracing.com/tab.5_page.pogies.html
- Bad Ass from the Motorcycle world – http://www.cyclelicio.us/2010/diy-windproof-bike-pogies/
- On the cheap from Cabela’s – http://www.cabelas.com/product/Classic-Accessories8482-QuadGear8482-ATV-Mitts/716428.uts
- From the rowing world – http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/41494?pi=703191&qs=3012739_g_shopping&subrnd=0
- If you want to go DIY check this out! – http://www.cyclelicio.us/2010/diy-windproof-bike-pogies/
- Grabber Hand Warmers – http://www.warmers.com/Category.aspx?Cat=67
Hey, fat-bike Peeps, got any other pogie brands you use?