Pogies – Keeping the Digits Warm

Keeping the digits warm while fat-biking in the cold is one of the most important parts of winter biking. Cold fingers equal less control, potential frostbite and, in extreme conditions, loss of said digits! So how best to keep your hands warm?

While there are a lot of cyclists out there using variations on the lobster claw glove there is another option when it gets cold. Pogies. Basically, oversized mittens that fit over your handlebars. Variously know as Moose Mitts, Bullwinkles, Gauntlets or Bike Mitts, pogies are typically constructed of wind/waterproof fabric like Cordura and most pogies also include a fleece-type lining to warm the hands. Some even have a pocket for hand warmers like those made by Grabber.

In warmer weather you can ride bare-handed with complete control of your bike while riding in colder weather light-weight cycling gloves will often be warm enough for your ride.

Other cold weather sportsmen (and women!), like rowers, snowmobilers and kayakers, use pogie-style hand warmers too so while there are bike-specific pogies out there, you may find that a cross-sport pogie may suit you. Some also include Reflective Striping that can come in handy when it gets dark at 4:30PM in the winter.

Here is a list of pogie makers out there:

Hey, fat-bike Peeps, got any other pogie brands you use?

, , ,

12 Responses to Pogies – Keeping the Digits Warm

1. Steve Fuller January 11, 2012 at 6:08 pm #

I bought these and have been happy with them. – http://www.basspro.com/API-Outdoors-ATV-Handlebar-Mitts/product/63933/54440

2. DC January 12, 2012 at 9:41 am #

Local Michigan dude made mine, love em! http://bobde1234.posterous.com/batch-of-wolverine-claws

3. Joboo January 12, 2012 at 10:53 am #

+1 for the Dogwood Design Plus pogies.
    My hands are cold………… nevermore!!
    Full finger riding gloves worn only on the coldest of days.
    To each their own.
    Pedal On!!!

Peace

4. The Bort King January 14, 2012 at 4:31 pm #

As the Lovely Wife says, “There is no bad weather, just bad gear.”

5. Jake January 22, 2012 at 12:27 am #

Like Steve posted above, go to your nearest Farm and Fleet and get some ATV/Snowmobile mitts. I paid $13 for the pair I am using, and they are effective to the point where I do not wear gloves underneath them even in single digit temperatures. Plus the camo is cool.

6. Bob Ham June 23, 2012 at 4:30 pm #

Looking for this type of product for my Harley Road King, any suggestions? Thanks

7. Mike October 15, 2013 at 11:52 am #

Thank you for the reviews and sharing the information. I have an update if you could change the link for Moose Mitts (our trademark name), to the new website address that would be a great help

Thanks again
    Mike AKA Sherpaboy – head sticher

8. John Settle November 13, 2013 at 9:35 pm #

Moose Mitts are absolute top quality, hand made in USA.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Winter Commuting Gear for the Rest of Us | low is pro - February 25, 2013

[...] and rarely ever warm back up. I have yet to find a solution to this. My next step is to give some Pogies a try. Stellar Bags is a St. Paul based company that makes Pogies for flat bars and from what I [...]

2. Winter is Coming… | Best Bike Rides D.C. - November 18, 2013

[…] My hands have to be warm. period. So this is one of the places I put the most emphasis in. I own three different sets of winter gloves. My first go-to set are my Sugoi Toaster Gloves. Unfortunately Sugoi no longer makes this model but they have some comparable new ones; These are great gloves, but once the temperature drop down to the 30s they don’t cut it. From there I move on to my Pearl Izumi Elite gloves. These are a little heavier/bulkier than my Sugoi gloves and keep my hands warm even in the coldest days and still provide some flexibility and mobility. When it gets really cold I go with my Pearl Izumi “lobster” style gloves. The biggest issue I have as I move to the colder weather gloves is that they get bulkier and you begin to lose some “dexterity.”  I’ve never tried pogies (bar mitts), but I’m considering them since they will allow me to bulk down my gloves so. Fat-Bike.com has a comprehensive list of pogies to “keep your digits warm.” […]