Mi amigo Maciej invited me to pay him a visit and the Bike Doctor to get a first look at Pivot Cycles’ new 2021 Les Fat full carbon fiber fat-bike. He didn’t have to ask me twice. We made plans to meet at the shop the next morning. The first thing that grabbed my eye was the rather robust downtube/bottom bracket on the battleship grey frame and fork with black and red accents. Our demo bike came with a Pro-XT build with a rigid carbon fork, but Pivot offers a Pro-XT with a Manitou Mastodon suspension fork as well.
- Fits all fat/plus wheelsizes (26” X 3.8-5.0”, 27.5” X 3.8-4.5”, 27.5+, 29” and 29+) via Swinger II dropout system, without geometry compromises
- New 27.5” Fat and 27.5+ wheel and tire spec
- Full carbon frame features svelte top tube and stay shaping for long ride and epic adventure comfort
- Adjustable chainstay length
- Kind-to-your-knees, narrow Q-factor design
- 2x, 1x and singlespeed compatible
- 197mm rear spacing and optimized design clears 5″ tires with massive clearance for snow, mud and sand
- Pivot-designed carbon fork with 150mm spacing. Suspension fork compatible
- Integrated rear rack mounts
- Three water-bottle mounts
- 10-year warranty
The Les fat comes in two colorways (blue & grey)
Twenty-nine pounds with pedals (and a gnome)
I took the Les Fat out for a ride on the Glacial Drumlin Trail to get a feel for how the bike rides just a little bit. I felt right at home on it and the size large fit me really well. With a 69-degree head tube & a 74-degree seat tube, it’s very close to other bikes that I’ve ridden before, so I could definitely make this bike work. The Les Fat is pretty versatile. It’s compatible with wheel sizes, from 26” and 27.5” Fat to 27.5+ to 29er, the LES Fat is a four-season hardtail that can cover everything from dirt singletrack to snow & sand.
On the positive side of the build spec for this bike are a blend of Shimano XT & SLX components (derailleur/brakes) coupled with Raceface Cranks. At this price point, I think the stock SUNringlé Mulefüt 80 wheels and the Phoenix bar/stem/post are the two areas that could be upgraded. The MSRP is $4,199 USD. The Pivot LES Fat is in the same category as the Rocky Mountain Blizzard and the Otso Voytek. They are all fat-bikes made to run everything from Plus to Fat and sport a narrow Q-Factor. So if those factors are part of your checklist, you should add Pivot to your list of bikes to throw a leg over. The new LES Fat’s are available now at better bicycle retailers.
For more information about the Pivot LES Fat visit – https://store.pivotcycles.com/en/fat