Editor’s Note: Our story about the new Framed Montana is written and performed by mi amigo Byrone. Byrone is a legacy member of the Northern Illinois Chapter of the Bike Black Ribbon Society and currently rides a 9:Zero:7 when he’s not testing F/S Fat for us.
When I found out that I was going to review the FRAMED Montana, I was ‘all in’! The minute I got on this bike, all my central nervous system was screaming to me was “this thing is SLACK!” This bike is one slack sled, but I’ll save ride impressions for the full review. The flat blue paint job is quite sexy and looks delicious on the molded carbon fiber lines of the Montana.
Drivetrain duties are aptly handled by a SRAM 1×12 NX drivetrain with a 30t chainring on the front and 11-50 tooth gearing. That wide range of gearing helps to tame the punchy (tiny) climbs on our trails in Northern Illinois and Southern Wisconsin. The Bluto fork up front and RockShox Monarch RT3 shock in the rear eat up the chatter like the cookie monster with a Toll House chocolate-chip (COOK-EEE!). It does this all while not really taking away from pedaling efficiency on the climbs and flats. The complete bike with pedals weighs in at a svelt thirty-two pounds.
Our Demo bike came with 3.8 Maxxis Minions mounted on 75mm wide Pub carbon rims, which are noticeably narrower when compared to what I usually run on my personal bike.
This bike is beautifully built with a nice component mix. So far I’ve enjoyed some prime winter groomed trails and I’m looking forward to putting it through the ringer on all kinds of trails in the next few weeks.
Montana NX Build Kit
- Frame: FRAMED High Modulus Carbon Fiber Frame 177×12. Integrated headset, replaceable derailleur hanger, 2 water bottle cage braze-ons, internal cable, and housing routing.
- Fork Options: Rockshox Bluto, Lockout, Rebound adjust, 100mm travel 150x15mm
- Rear Shock: RockShox Monarch RT3
- Headset: FSA Orbit C-40 Integrated IS42/IS52
- Crankset: SRAM X1 30t
- Bottom Bracket: SRAM External Cup
- Cassette: SRAM NX Eagle PG 11-50
- Shifters: SRAM NX Eagle 12 speed
- Rear Derailleur: SRAM NX Eagle
- Chain: SRAM NX Eagle Powerlock
- Brakes: SRAM Level T Hydraulic
- Brake Levers: SRAM Level T
- Rotors: SRAM 160mm rear/front
- Handlebar: Framed All Mountain Aluminum Alloy 760mm
- Stem: Framed 60mm, 4 bolt plate
- Saddle: WTB Volt
- Grips: Raceface Half Nelson Lock-on
- Seat Post: FRAMED Alloy 31.6 x 400mm
- Carbon Wheelset: DT Swiss Hub 150/15mm, 177/12mm, PUB Carbon 27.5
- Tires: Maxxis Minion 27.5 x 3.8in
As of April 2, 2021, these are in stock and they’ll probably sell out fast, so if you want to get one of these fat-dually whips, you should probably act fast. For more information about the Framed Montana visit – FramedBikes.com